My Woods

"Whose woods these are I think I know
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To see his woods fill up with snow...

The woods are lovely, dark and deep
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep"
--Robert Frost "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

While at Barnes tonight, I slipped by the poetry section and was caught by Robert Frost. Maybe it was because I watched "Dead Poets Society" not to long ago, or maybe it was the longing for beauty...I don't know, and I'm not one to over-analyze.
Tonight, studying is my miles, and Frost is my snowy wood. Here I sit, taking a short moment to enjoy the beauty amidst the tasks that lay before me. So much to do and so little time to do it makes these rare moments of seeing beauty so special.
And such is my relationship with the Lord...
Doing too often takes the place of being, and performing replaces living. My rare snowy woods are crowded out by my endless miles that seemingly need to be traveled. The tasks will get done. The miles will be traveled. But to what expense? Missing the snowy wood? Hardly seems worth it...

Posted byMike Fennema posted 10:28 PM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment