The day I never dreamed would come...



...is here. My boys from the South Side actually pulled it off. It has been a long time waiting in the city of Chicago for a baseball team to do anything significant. 88 years for the Sox and even longer for the Cubs. I can not tell you how happy I am that my town--my team--has some bragging rights. The Sox didn't "just" pull it off; they only lost one game all throughout the playoffs. They swept the former chumps...I mean champs...won 4 straight against the Angels--all of them complete games by the fab four--and dominated the National League in their first trip to the World Series since the Go-Go Sox.
I am so proud of my Sox and of my city. We haven't had anything significant happen in the world of sports since Jordan retired in '98 (his second retirement). Now, people in my "Sweet Home Chicago" can dance in the streets, celebrating the end to so many years of mediocrity and frustration.
I can't sleep. I don't want to sleep. I don't want to wake up and find out that this was just a dream. For now, I will just watch the postgame show and take in as much as I can from the oh-so-magical night.
Anybody want to foot the bill for a plane ticket to the Windy City?
(Dad and Mom: thanks for calling me during the games and sharing this with me! I love you guys!)

Posted byMike Fennema posted 11:27 PM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment