So This is What Floridians Think of Christmas...

I don't think that I ever thought that I would have the opportunity to play sports outside on Christmas day. That is what always made the first sign of spring so special: being able to be outside. But goodness gracious, how wierd it was today.
To be honest, I didn't think that today was going to be a good day, but I was proved dead wrong. Last night was tough being at the Christmas Eve service. Christmas Eve is usually the night that my family and I celebrate our Christmas. We always go out to dinner as a family including my grandparents. Then we go back to my parent's house, open presents, and have desert. The service last night was beautiful, but not being with my family just made the night tough. However, I am grateful to all the people who invited me over to spend the holiday, those that I was able to make it to, and those I was not. Gammichia's, Sniders, and Jakes: thank you so much! It meant the world to me to be able to spend the holiday with you. Nothing quite makes up for actual family, but you all made it a merry Christmas.
Despite the fact that it is December 25, it doesn't exactly feel like Christmas though. This was my first warm weather Christmas, and I don't know if it is something that I can ever get used to. We don't always have snow in Chicago for Christmas, but the weather will always be chilly. I guess that I just associate that with Christmas: bundling up, having a fire, hot chocolate, pajama pants, sweatshirts, slippers, and wool socks. I don't know how you Florida people do it. I just feel like you're missing out. You may think I'm crazy for preferring the cold weather, but Christmas without the cold (and if you're lucky the snow) just makes me feel like a fish out a water.
Enought of my babbling...Happy Birthday Jesus. Thanks for coming, and we look forward to you comin' again. Revelation 22:20b

Posted byMike Fennema posted 8:45 PM  

2 comments:

Naomi said... Monday, December 26, 2005 10:59:00 AM  

Thank you for a post that I could comiserate with. I'm glad you enjoyed your day, and as I've been reminded lately, we shouldn't attach so much importance to one day. Just as family and friends and festivities are important all year, the gift of salvation is something we should be celebrating every day... Okay, I'll get off your blog now. Merry Christmas, Mike!

Anonymous said... Wednesday, January 04, 2006 8:10:00 PM  

Dad & I missed all our children this year, too. It seemed very strange, but having Uncle Jim & Aunt Deb spend time with us was very good. Family ties were made stronger. What's most important is that we are all part of the family of God.
We love you and miss you
Love Mom

Post a Comment